All XSEDE service provider sites have legal and other obligations to protect shared resources as well as the intellectual property of users. Users share this responsibility by observing the rules of acceptable use that are outlined in this document.
How to Accept Your Responsibility Form
When XSEDE approves your request for resources, you must digitally sign the XSEDE Acceptable Use Policy the first time you log into the XSEDE User Portal at the beginning of each allocation. You must do this within 30 days of the approval of your allocation, or your account will be deactivated.
Your on-line acceptance is your acknowledgment that you have read and understand your responsibilities as a user. If you have questions, please contact the XSEDE Help Desk.
XSEDE Acceptable Use Policy
- You will only use XSEDE-allocated resources to perform work and transmit/ store data consistent with the stated allocation request goals and conditions of use as defined by your approved XSEDE project, this XSEDE Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), and any local service provider policies.
- You will respect intellectual property rights and observe confidentiality agreements, noting that XSEDE allocations are awarded for open research intended for publication.
- You will not use XSEDE-allocated resources for financial gain or any unlawful purpose, nor attempt to breach or circumvent any XSEDE administrative or security controls. You will comply with all applicable laws, working with your home institution and the specific XSEDE service providers utilized to determine what constraints may be placed on you by any relevant regulations such as export control law or HIPAA.
- You will protect your access credentials (e.g., private keys, tokens & passwords) which are issued for your sole use. This includes:
- Using a unique password for your XSEDE User Portal account.
- Only entering your XSEDE password into xsede.org sites
- Not sharing any of your XSEDE credentials with any other person
- You will immediately report any known or suspected security breach or misuse of XSEDE access credentials to the XSEDE Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org; XSEDE Help Desk via the portal; or 1-866-907-2383) .
- Access-granting organizations, your allocation's Principal Investigator (PI), and service providers are entitled to regulate, suspend or terminate your access, and you will immediately comply with their instructions.
- PIs are responsible for properly vetting users on their allocations and by doing so they are attesting that the XSEDE User Portal username belongs to the intended person. PI's will also ensure that users who have access to XSEDE-allocated resources on the PI's XSEDE allocation follow this AUP.
- You will have only one XSEDE User Portal account and will keep your profile information up-to-date.
- Use of resources and services through XSEDE is at your own risk. There are no guarantees that resources and services will be available, that they will suit every purpose, or that data will never be lost or corrupted. Users are responsible for backing up critical data.
- Logged information, including information provided by you for registration purposes, is used for administrative, operational, accounting, monitoring and security purposes. This information may be disclosed, via secured mechanisms, only for the same purposes and only as far as necessary to other organizations cooperating with XSEDE.
- You will acknowledge use of XSEDE, supported by National Science Foundation award number ACI-1053575, in manuscripts submitted for publication. In addition, you are expected to acknowledge use of the specific resource(s) utilized (See https://portal.xsede.org/acknowledge).
- Violations of XSEDE policies and/or service provider policies can result in loss of access to resources. Activities in violation of any laws may be reported to the proper authorities for investigation and prosecution.